23 June 2015

FT-817ND LiPo Setup

Here's the components I use to power my FT-817ND in the field:

Zippy 3S 5000mah 20C Hardcase battery. I went with the hardcase as a little extra insurance against knocks and drops. If I did it over again, I'd skip the hardcase and just go with a standard shrink wrapped battery so I can visually inspect for faulty/puffed cells. Something like this. I cut off the bullet connectors and installed Anderson Power Poles.


Turnigy E3 Compact 2S/3S AC Charger. Small and simple charger. Charges slowly, which is good for extending the useful life of your batteries, but bad if you're in a hurry.

HobbyKing Cell Checker w/ Low Voltage Alarm. This is essential to help prevent over discharging your battery. The piezo alarm is incredibly loud, so I popped open the case and ripped out most of the sound diaphragm. It's still audible, but not so annoying now.

Automotive Inline Fuse. Just a simple fuse holder from the local auto store. Wired inline on the positive battery lead as another insurance measure against short circuit/fire.

Just a heads up if you've never ordered from HobbyKing before - make sure you select the warehouse nearest to you before adding items to your cart. HobbyKing doesn't let you make one order that ships from multiple warehouses. There is also a 3200mah capacity limit for international shipments, so that's another reason to choose a nearby warehouse.







No comments:

Post a Comment